Should I Accept Compensation from Tour Operators?
If you’ve suffered an accident or illness on holiday that wasn’t your fault, you’ll probably approach the rep from your tour operator for help. But once you’ve been referred to a doctor and received medical treatment, what happens next?
Your tour operator may offer you some form of compensation straight away. But while this may appear as if they care deeply about your wellbeing and happiness, the truth is they’ll try to pay out as little as they can to maximise their profits.
So if they offer you a sum of money or a goodwill gesture such as vouchers, then be very wary, as you may actually be entitled to a much higher sum.
Accident and illness claims generally lead to much larger compensation payouts than general complaints, so the tour operator may be counting on the fact that you don’t actually know how much your claim is worth.
Once you accept compensation for a complaint, in most cases this will be your final settlement, so if at a later date you feel you didn’t receive enough, you won’t be able to make a future claim with legal representation.
That’s why it’s so important to speak to a Holiday Claims Solicitor who specialises in this area of law. We’ve got a strong track record of claiming compensation for people who’ve suffered a holiday accident or illness that wasn’t their fault while on a package holiday
We’re happy to provide you with free, initial no-obligation legal advice on the value of your claim, and if we take on your case, we may be able to handle it on a No Win, No Fee basis. That means if we pursue a claim on your behalf, you won’t be charged for any of our services unless we’re successful.
We’ll work hard to obtain appropriate compensation awards from your tour operator, to ensure you get every penny you’re entitled to.
When Might I Need Legal Representation?
There are many scenarios when you might have a grievance with your tour operator, but which don’t necessarily demand that you speak to a Solicitor. It’s best to complain to a tour operator directly if your complaint concerns:
- Poor standards of cleanliness
- Facilities not being as advertised
- The standard of facilities on offer
- Broken or unavailable facilities
- Disruptive hotel building work
However, it’s best to receive legal advice if your complaint concerns:
- A holiday accident that resulted in injury
- A holiday illness that ruined part of your holiday
- Misrepresentation of your hotel or resort and your holiday cost more than £2,000
Ultimately, the factor that determines whether you should handle it yourself or turn to a Holiday Claims Solicitors is whether the issue in question caused you harm.
While they can affect your enjoyment of your holiday, problems such as poor service or a hotel room that could have been better can’t be said to have caused you harm – and the value of these claims will be relatively low. If we feel that your claim is of a low value, we’ll tell you during your free, no obligation consultation, and probably recommend you pursue this type of complaint yourself.
Tips on Complaining to a Tour Operator
If you’re going to complain to your tour operator yourself in writing, then you should always do the following:
- Read through their terms and conditions, so you understand their complaints process and have full information on your rights as a customer
- Try to find out what previous claimants have been awarded to help you work out an appropriate sum of compensation for you
- Tell your tour operator how much holiday compensation you expect and break down how you came to that figure
- Make it clear that you expect compensation as part of the resolution to your complaint
- Give full details of your holiday, including the name and location of your resort, your booking reference, departure dates and what went wrong
- Be honest and stick to the facts without exaggerating
- Gather any correspondence you’ve had so far and make sure your complaint matches up with the evidence you’ve already got
- Tell the tour operator you’re prepared to take matters further if the complaint isn’t resolved to your satisfaction swiftly
If you or a member of your family suffered sickness on holiday and believe the illness was caused by the fault or negligence of the hotel or tour operator, you may be entitled to compensation.
Start your No Win No Fee Holiday Claim by calling 08081293329