Reviewers comment on food poisoning and hygiene issues at the ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie
Reviewers who stayed at the ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie in Morocco have reported that they suffered a suspected bout of food poisoning, as well as commenting on what appear to be questionable hygiene standards.
The ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie in Morocco
The ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie is advertised by TUI-owned tour operators First Choice and TUI on an all-inclusive basis to British holidaymakers. The hotel is situated in what is considered to be an upmarket part of Marrakech, Morocco, and features a variety of restaurants and facilities.
Reports of holiday illness at Marrakech hotel
Overall, reviews for the ClubHotel Riu Tikida Palmeraie on TripAdvisor are very positive, with many satisfied holidaymakers making positive comments about their stay, but there are a few reviewers that have made some negative comments about the Tikida Palmeraie, with some saying that they suffered the symptoms of a gastric illness.
London holidaymaker ‘LBB40’ stayed at the Tikida Palmeraie this April, and in her review titled “Back for a 3rd time and we won’t be back again – read why“, she says that the “cups [that] your drinks [come] in by the pool are filthy and need to be replaced“. She goes on to say that the “toilets by the pool [are] not that clean and [the] toilet roll holders have fallen off the walls“, before adding that “at times [there was] no soap in [the] soap dispensers“.
She continues to say that she “noticed a lot of the time [that] the toilet rolls were not attached to the walls but on the dirty floors“, and that “not once did [she] see a cleaner near the loos“.
Commenting on her room, she says that it was “dirty” and there was a “footprint on [the] wall where the remains of a cockroach were“, something that she says “remained [throughout the duration of her] holiday“. She also says that there were “holes in [the] bedding and [the] floor [is] dirty“.
She later explains that she “was very ill [after] 2 days” of the holiday and she says that “it seems [as though] others were too“, something that she says “ruined [her] holiday“. She says that at the time of writing she and her husband are “still ill“, and concludes her review by saying that the “hotel […] needs a […] good deep clean” to prevent guests from “being violently sick“.
‘Victoria243’ from Brighton also stayed at the Tikida Palmeraie this April, and in her review titled “Appalling hotel“, she exclaims “what an appalling hotel“, explaining that she “had really bad food poisoning” during her stay.
She goes on to say that she had to “check out” while she was still unwell, but after asking “to keep the room“, she says that she was told that she would be “charged” for the extra time, something that she “felt […] was unfair as if [she] was not ill, [she] would not of kept the room on“.
In his review titled “Heidi Hi all inclusive same same” Southampton holidaymaker ‘jd25sa’ simply says that “the chances of [suffering from diarrhoea and vomiting] are reasonable“, explaining that out of his “group of nine” holidaymakers, “five had a day or more of it“.
Toilet hygiene and holiday illness
Cleanliness is the hallmark of good hygiene, and one of the places that a high standard of hygiene is essential, is in public toilets, particularly at an all-inclusive hotel where guests might spend all of their time within a resort.
Through their daily use, a public toilet can be exposed to countless harmful bacteria and parasites, many of which have the potential to cause holidaymakers to become unwell. It’s because of this that you often see public toilets with cleaning schedules printed on their door, assuring patrons that the toilets are safe to use.
A toilet floor is, unsurprisingly, a hotspot for holiday ruining diseases, particularly as aside from being exposed to the occasional splash of urine and faecal matter from a toilet flushing or mishap; our shoes track a lot of faecal matter just by being worn outdoors, adding to the existing smorgasbord of pathogens. Because of this, allowing toilet paper to be stored on the floor could be seen as a potential health hazard.
Soap could help to reduce the risk of an outbreak
Encouraging all-inclusive hotel guests to practice good hygiene is a great step for a hotel to take, but enabling them to do so in the first place is even more beneficial. Clean running water is a great start, but ensuring that anti-bacterial soap is available in all hotel bathrooms and toilets should help to kerb the risk of an illness outbreak.
Cockroaches, insects and food poisoning
It’s important for a hotel to consider the impact that cockroaches and other insects can have on the health of their guests, particularly if they are able to access any of the food that is being served. While some species of cockroach and other insects aren’t known to carry disease, they can come into contact with unhygienic environments, from which hazardous particles can be transferred to your food.
Make a claim for holiday illness compensation
If you’ve encountered any of these issues on a package holiday when you were unwell with the symptoms of food poisoning, then under The Package Travel Regulations 1992 you could be entitled to claim compensation from your tour operator.
Our travel law specialists can provide you with a free no-obligation consultation, during which we can assess your case and advise you of the best method to pursue your claim, including advice on whether we can represent you on a ‘no win no fee‘ basis.