Illness strikes AGAIN at the Red Sea Holiday Village, Egypt in 2015
Simpson Millar’s travel team are currently receiving reports of illness occurring amongst UK holidaymakers returning home having recently stayed at the Red Sea Holiday Village Hotel in Sharm el Sheikh. Lawyers in the travel team have not been surprised by the fresh reports of illness at the flagship First Choice resort given that illness has been reported there for the last 5 years.
Head of International Travel Law, Nick Harris featured on the BBC One Watchdog show following a well publicised illness outbreak at the First Choice resort in 2012. The well-known consumer rights program, presented by Anne Robinson, highlighted a number of horrendous hygiene failures within the resort. Following the program airing, Simpson Millar was contacted by several hundred holidaymakers who had suffered with illness after their stay at the hotel. As a result of Nick’s appearance on the programme Simpson Millar represented a group of over 230 holidaymakers in their pursuit of compensation against First Choice.
It wasn’t the first time Simpson Millar solicitors had successfully represented a group of angry holidaymakers from the Red Sea Holiday Village. Over 120 British holidaymakers, who became ill at the resort in 2010, asked for the travel team’s help and in 2011 Simpson Millar was again asked to assist holidaymakers who had contracted serious Salmonella food poisoning at the resort.
Lessons not learnt – Keep off the Grass!
History appears to be repeating itself as First Choice has failed to learn from their past mistakes and have not addressed the inherent hygiene problems within the resort. The result being that, tourists continue to fall seriously ill when they holiday at this resort.
Yet again we are hearing reports of worrying hygiene standards within the resort with ‘logging’ incidents occurring (faecal incidents occurring in the swimming pools) and resort staff again failing to clean it up properly. Staff have failed to close any of the affected swimming pools or correctly decontaminate the pool after faecal contamination.
The hotel has also been warning guests to keep off the grass in the resort gardens because they irrigate the gardens with raw sewage and guests have been walking this into the swimming pools.
Holidaymakers who have recently returned home from the Red Sea Holiday Village, known also as the Coral Sea Holiday Village, have reported suffering with a range of illness symptoms for most of the duration of their holiday and further continuing symptoms once they are back in the UK. Illness bugs contracted on holiday can be caused by serious bacterial infections such as Cryptosporidium, Campylobacter, E-Coli, Salmonella or Shigella. Symptoms include severe watery diarrhoea, painful abdominal cramps, nausea, vomiting, headaches, fever and other flu like symptoms.
Holidaymakers still suffering with any symptoms are strongly advised to visit their GP immediately. A stool sample is highly recommended so that your GP can attempt to identify the cause of your illness and prescribe the right treatment for you.
If you have suffered with illness at the Red Sea Holiday Village in 2015 and need expert advice in relation to making a compensation claim against First Choice Holidays then contact our travel team who will be able to help you.