Holidaymakers Falling Ill at the Baron Palms Resort in Sharm El Sheikh
Guests at the Baron Palms Resort in Sharm have posted on TripAdvisor that they have suffered sickness and diarrhoea while staying at the resort.
The Baron Palms Resort is rated as “excellent” by TripAdvisor users and the hotel management appears to be extremely responsive to the posts of guests, and addresses issues raised on the site.
However, one guest posting on October 7 who had visited the resort for six years said that by only using straws for drinks and avoiding eating the salad at the Baron Palms Resort, for the first time in six years they had managed to avoid sickness and diarrhoea they normally experienced.
Reviews posted on October 4 and 5 also highlight problems with guests falling ill with stomach bugs at the Baron Palms Resort – with one family leaving the hotel to return home early after being so ill they had to remain in their room and be treated for dehydration with a drip, after contracting a stomach bug at the resort.
Another holidaymaker was treated with antibiotics and spoke to six other guests who had all been ill with a gastrointestinal infection while at the Baron Palms Resort.
The management has responded to one of these posts on TripAdvisor:
“Thank you for your comments and the positive feedback on our staff and general cleanliness. Cleanliness and hygiene are very important to us, as well as food safety, and every precaution is taken to maintain the highest standards. Our kitchen follows HACCP procedures and additionally regular independent health and safety inspections are made.”
Illnesses like salmonella and E.coli causing severe sickness and diarrhoea can easily occur at resorts where there is an all-inclusive buffet or any lapses in food hygiene, such as washing salads in contaminated water.
One holidaymaker noted that in the restaurant:
“None of the staff in the food areas wore gloves and there were no hand sanitising points anywhere in the hotel.”
The management of the Baron Palms Resort at Sharm has posted on TripAdvisor that they will be considering the suggestions made about improvements to food preparation and hygiene at the complex. But as one TripAdvisor user reported, “… it’s not worth taking the risk with the tummy bugs”.