Guests suffer sickness and diarrhoea at the Hotel Villa Dorada, Salou
Some holidaymakers are reporting an outbreak of holiday food poisoning illness at the Hotel Villa Dorada in Salou, Spain, with guests staying at the hotel in September saying they suffered sickness and diarrhoea.
Reviews in September and October suggest facilities at the 3-star Villa Doradal – formerly the Hotel Venecia Park – may have been reduced as it was closing for the season on 20 October.
While many guests report being satisfied with the hotel and its services, one holidaymaker posted images of poor maintenance at the hotel and a review on 7 October which read:
“Room and veranda not cleaned, toilet pan loose, sewage smell in whole hotel, meals dreadful, all inclusive but ate out, bread and baps stale, broken mirrors on pillars in dining areas, pool areas a disgrace, missing tiles in pool, tiles in pool covered in growth, area surrounds filthy.”
The all-inclusive buffet is frequently a source of holiday food poisoning such as Salmonella, especially if leftover food is reheated or serving spoons are contaminated. Many guests staying at the hotel complained about the standard of the food.
Another TripAdvisor reviewer posting on 6 October also told of a family of five’s “holiday from hell” at the Villa Dorada, with a smell of sewage in the family’s bathroom, poor hygiene at the hotel and an accident hazard in the bathroom which caused her small son to slip and cut his face – and which hotel staff allegedly said was a problem in all guest bathrooms and could not be remedied.
The pools were also allegedly dirty, with insects and plant debris floating in the children’s pool.
Insects can be another source of holiday food poisoning and can spread infections – ingesting contaminated swimming pool water can lead to a range of bacterial gastrointestinal illnesses causing sickness and diarrhoea, as well as the parasitic infection Cryptosporidium.
The management of the Villa Dorada has responded to some reviews posted on TripAdvisor.
The hotel is used by tour operator TUI, whose staff have a legal obligation under the 1992 Package Travel Regulations to ensure the cleanliness and safety of the public areas and rooms of hotels their customers are sent to.