Family Flee Hotel Fire on Holiday in Turkey
A family’s holiday was ruined by a fire at their hotel in Marmaris…
A family who say their £1,500 holiday was ruined when a fire broke out at their hotel have been given £100 as a goodwill gesture.
Maxine Reeves and partner Mark Preston booked a 2-week break in Marmaris, Turkey, with their 2 children.
But they were forced to flee when a fire started in the hotel’s sauna. Maxine and her 11-year-old son Christian were two of seven Britons who needed hospital treatment.
Mark, aged 37, and nine-year-old daughter Emily did not require medical care.
First Choice, the firm the holiday was booked through, has given the family £100 as a goodwill gesture, but Maxine says she has not ruled out seeking compensation.
The 34-year-old, of Hallfield Grove, Tunstall, said: “I am glad to have got some money, but I would still like some sort of compensation.”
“We stayed in four hotels during the last week of our holiday and although the last one was very nice it was an hour away from where we wanted to be.”
After the fire at the Club Anastacia hotel the family were eventually moved to the five-star Hotel Aqua in Icmeler. But as they had activities booked in Marmaris, they had to pay for buses back to the resort.
They also had to pay for prescriptions to rid smoke from their lungs and treat their feet, which were hurt by glass as they escaped from the hotel.
Maxine, a full-time mum, said: “The fire happened on the Monday night and it wasn’t until the Thursday that it sunk in for me. It has affected us all differently.”
“Mark’s parents were over with us the first week and during the second week we were planning on doing things ourselves like getting out and doing a bit of shopping. But by the time we had sorted everything out with the holiday reps, we had lost a good half of the week.
“I don’t know whether we will be flying with them again.”
A spokesman for First Choice said: “First Choice is sorry to hear that Miss Reeves and her partner suffered minor injuries while departing the hotel following the incident.”
“While First Choice is wholly sympathetic to their experience, we would like to confirm that staff offered every assistance to the family in what must have been a traumatic time.”
“Miss Reeves received medical attention straight away and costs were covered by the hotel.”
“Mr Preston was also offered to see the doctor, but declined.”
“The family received a refund for a prescription, a meal and a taxi, a free bus transfer to another hotel and a free upgrade to half-board basis at the new hotel.”
“The family have already been offered and accepted £100 as a gesture of goodwill plus a further £50 of holiday vouchers per person, which are being sent out by our customer services department.”
If you have been injured in a fire at your hotel that was not your fault then talk to the Holiday Accident Compensation Experts today to find out how they can help you make a claim.