Holiday Illness Claims
Holiday Claims
Start your Claim

On holiday Gastroenteritis advice

Gastroenteritis can quickly bring your holiday enjoyment crashing to a halt, as you end up spending more time in your hotel room toilet rather than by the pool. If you feel that your condition was caused by something your tour operator could have prevented, then you might be entitled to holiday illness compensation.

Simpson Millar Solicitors feature shield

Can I make a claim?

Your tour operator is responsible for your safety if you booked a package holiday to an all-inclusive hotel, and under The Package Travel Regulations 1992, they should take reasonable steps to do so. If you suffer a holiday illness that could have been prevented, then you might be able to claim compensation from them.

What do I need to do to claim for Gastroenteritis?

If you suffer Gastroenteritis on holiday, it's important to seek out a diagnosis from a medical professional, as well as speaking to your GP when you return to the UK. If you want to make a compensation claim, it can help your case if you gather evidence while abroad. This can include taking photographs or recording video of the cause of your condition, and in the event of an outbreak; speaking to other guests who have suffered similar symptoms.

Upon returning to the UK, contact our travel law specialists and we'll assess your case as part of a free no-obligation consultation.

Back to the top

How much is my claim worth?

Usually, holiday illness compensation awards are valued at between £1,000 and £25,000, but the sky is the limit, as the amount you could be entitled to depends on the severity of your condition and how much of an impact it will have on your life. Because of this we recommend speaking to a member of the team if you want to find out how much your claim could be worth, or alternatively, read the below example of a case study to get an idea:

£10,100 for E. coli in the Dominican Republic

A couple from Kent stayed at the all-inclusive Sea Club Resort in Egypt where they found that the hygiene and food safety was not up to the standards that they were expecting. After their holiday being ruined by typical gastric illness symptoms such as being unable to hold onto food for long, they sought out our help. Following our representation and a thorough investigation, their tour operator agreed to pay out £10,100 in holiday illness compensation.

Back to the top

What is Gastroenteritis?

Gastroenteritis is a broad term describing a combination of gastric illness symptoms usually brought on by food poisoning. Essentially it refers to an infection that causes your digestive tract to become irritated, usually resulting in the inflammation of your stomach and intestines, as well as a range of unpleasant symptoms.

How can I get Gastroenteritis?

Gastric illnesses are often induced by food poisoning, meaning that any of the following pathogens could cause you to suffer from this debilitating condition:

Where could I end up with Gastroenteritis?

You can suffer from Gastroenteritis in any place where hygiene standards are poor, and harmful bacteria and parasites are able to spread, including any of the following popular package holiday destinations:

Back to the top

What are the symptoms of Gastroenteritis?

The main symptoms of Gastroenteritis usually include profuse diarrhoea, nausea, projectile vomiting and a fever, but you could also suffer from a loss of appetite, aching limbs and headaches.

One of the side effects of these symptoms can be severe dehydration, which itself can result in other symptoms. As with any disease that results in an excessive loss of fluids, it's important to keep hydrated; ideally only drinking water.

Claim compensation for Gastroenteritis

How long does Gastroenteritis last?

As Gastroenteritis is a condition caused by an infection, how long it lasts is dependent on how long it takes your body to fight off what caused you to become unwell.

Who is most at risk?

How susceptible you are to Gastroenteritis depends on how susceptible you are to the pathogens that can cause it. Generally speaking, children are more at risk and by extension their parents, as well as those with compromised immune systems.

Back to the top

What should I do if I have Gastroenteritis?

If you suffer gastric illness symptoms, particularly vomiting and diarrhoea; it's important to limit your contact with people as much as possible, as you may be highly contagious. Ask a friend or relative to help you, most all-inclusive hotels understand that you're sick and don't want to spread infection, and should be okay with someone bringing you food and clean drinking water.

Most gastric illnesses are self-limiting, meaning they should clear up in their own time, but there are things that you can do to help ease your symptoms. While you should limit your contact with other people, speak to a medical professional before treating yourself to avoid falling into the pitfall of making yourself worse:

  • While you might want to make the most of your holiday, remember that rest could speed up your recovery.
  • Keep hydrated and replace any fluids you have lost, ideally sticking to water or recommended rehydration drinks.
  • Try to eat, but don't force yourself. Start with simple plain food and work yourself up from there.
  • Paracetamol can help with aches, pains and a fever.
  • There are anti-sickness and anti-diarrhoeal drugs available, but make sure you confirm that you won't have an adverse reaction to medication such as metoclopramide or loperamide before taking it.

Back to the top

Why choose a travel law specialist?

Our travel law specialists can advise you of the true value of your claim during a quick consultation, so don't let your tour operator settle your claim for less than it's actually worth, and find out what you could be entitled to under our 'no win no fee' terms.

Holiday illness legal comment icon

Contact us for free no-obligation advice

Find out more about claiming holiday illness compensation; contact us by completing our enquiry form and we will call you back, or call us free on 0808 145 1353.

Back to the top