Manchester couple receive £12,300 for illness contracted at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort in Mexico
We have successfully concluded a case for a couple from Greater Manchester whose holiday was ruined by gastric illness as a result of poor standards at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort in Cancun, Mexico. We were approached by the couple who were seeking representation for a claim against UK tour operator Thomas Cook, due to a disastrous holiday where they witnessed a number of concerning food safety and hygiene errors being made.
Problems at the Moon Palace
The couple witnessed problems that included being served meals that were raw and undercooked in the Brazilian restaurant, buffet food being left uncovered for long periods of time, with fresh food being added to old food, making it almost impossible to know how long dishes had been left out. They also noticed that hot food at the buffet was being left to reach lukewarm temperatures, and dirty plates were being left out around the pools, which subsequently attracted birds and other pests looking to snap up scraps left by other guests.
Problems only continued for the Greater Manchester couple who described the hotel to us as being of a poor standard, with broken tiles and mould within the swimming pool, a far cry from HACPP standards and certainly not the five star experience that they had expected when booking their Mexican holiday.
These hygiene errors in conjunction with a perceived lack of standards at the Moon Palace could have contributed to an environment that allows harmful bacteria and parasites to spread, and holidaymakers to become ill.
Medical expert supports claim
After being instructed by the unfortunate holidaymakers to claim against Thomas Cook we arranged for contact with an expert gastroenterologist who was able to closely link the poor standards of hygiene and the sub-standard services at the Moon Palace with the couples’ illnesses and symptoms. This step of the claim ensured that our clients had the necessary medical evidence to make sure that their case was successful.
Outcome of the case
Following our representation we helped our client to put together a strong case against their tour operator, and Thomas Cook has subsequently accepted that there have been failings at the Moon Palace Golf and Spa Resort, and that our clients’ illnesses were caused by these problems. Because of this they entered into settlement negotiations, resulting in £12,300 compensation for our clients.
Positive client feedback
Claire Rabbetts, our Holiday Accident and Illness Claims Specialist who handled the case, has confirmed that her clients were very pleased with the outcome, praising her on the great result.
Claire’s clients stated that the service was “first class from beginning to end and that they would highly recommend Claire, as she kept them informed, was patient and a pleasure to deal with“.
Our clients were also pleased with the fact that Thomas Cook had realised the errors of their ways and compensated them for the illness they contracted which resulted in their ruined holiday. The Greater Manchester couple are looking forward to putting the whole experience behind them and they have confirmed that they will be more wary when travelling abroad to an all-inclusive hotel in the future.
What we can do for you
Each year we represent hundreds of holidaymakers who have returned from popular holiday destinations such as Mexico with nasty bacterial diseases, parasitic infections and a whole range of stomach bugs and illnesses that can result in a ruined holiday. If you have had a holiday nightmare then don’t let your tour operator get away with it. You likely paid good money for your break abroad and if you became ill on a package holiday you could be entitled to claim thousands of pounds of compensation.
We are currently helping many other holidaymakers who have become unwell at hotels in Mexico, including the following repeat offenders:
- Sensimar Seaside Suites
- (previously known as the El Dorado Seaside Suites by Karisma)
- Secrets the Vine Hotel
- Secrets Maroma Beach
- Sensatori Resort