Salmonella during Red Sea honeymoon leads to compensation claim
Simpson Millar is pursuing a holiday illness claim on behalf of a young bride who contracted a serious gastric condition whilst honeymooning in Egypt.
Accompanied by her new husband, the 22-year-old was staying at the 5-star Hilton Sharm Dreams hotel, located at the popular Red Sea resort of Sharm el Sheikh.
Gastric symptoms soured the honeymoon
The couple’s honeymoon, an all-inclusive break at the Hilton Sharm Dreams in November 2014, was ruined when the bride acquired severe stomach cramps, diarrhoea, hot and cold shivers, bloating, headaches, lethargy and tiredness: all symptoms usually associated with salmonella infection.
Responsibility lay with hotel
Simpson Millar’s Amanda Dunford said the infection was likely to have been a result of poor standards and hygiene practices at the Hilton Sharm Dreams.
“Our client has raised numerous issues in terms of the quality and standards at the hotel,” Amanda said. “She has attributed the source of her illness to the hotel’s provision of food and drink clearly unfit for human consumption.”
Amanda noted that our client’s stay in Egypt amounted to more than a conventional holiday. “This was her honeymoon, but the illness put a dampener on our client’s entire experience.
“What should have been a magical moment in the bride’s life has left bad memories. The honeymoon was ruined for both our client and her husband, and at this time she is yet to make a full recovery.”
21 Travel Regulations allegedly breached
In pursuing a claim for damages, we have written to the holiday firm Thomas Cook citing 21 breaches of the Package Travel and Linked Travel Arrangements Regulations 2018.
“The regulations hold Thomas Cook liable for the negligence of its suppliers – this case, the Hilton Sharm Dreams hotel – and the improper performance of a regulated contract with our client,” Amanda explained.
“The illness sustained by our client could have been avoided had the company and/or the hotel exercised all due care.”
This remains a live case. At time of writing we are at medical evidence stage, with the defendant yet to comment other than confirming it is investigating the matter. We therefore have some way to go before any potential settlement in this case.
A 5-star hotel – but still poor hygiene
“You certainly do not expect to pick up an infection such as salmonella while holidaying at a 5-star hotel which has supposedly been checked for health and safety by the defendant,” Amanda concluded.
“The fact that this was a honeymoon, an event that ought to be fondly remembered by both bride and groom for the rest of their lives, makes a bad situation that much worse.”